[Tagging] Business names in capital letters

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 08:34:30 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 15. Dec 2019, at 19:26, Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If we enter names exactly as they appear on signs, we would have to
> change all place names to all caps in Italy, France and likely in
> other countries too.

as a general rule, all names exactly as they appear on signs does not work. Name is the common name as decided by the mapper and according to the conventions we have set up (e.g. generally no abbreviations, unless the name itself is an abbreviation, like AT&T etc.)
It can still make sense to have a dedicated tag for the name as it is sign posted (e.g. there are occasionally typos on signs, and for people that don’t know the situation it could be useful to have this information for orienteering on the ground), just like we have official_name for cases where the common name is different (and a variety of tags for alternative names).
Apparently, name:signed is the most common tag (if I didn’t miss something) with currently 551 uses.

For example there can be different name versions on different signs for the same feature (e.g. abbreviated and not street names), and even errors /typos on signs can occur.

Cheers Martin