[Tagging] club=scout for similar organisations

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:11:24 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 14:00, s8evq <s8evq at runbox.com> wrote:

> How would you then tag the building and field where Chiro, KSA or
> Australian Air Force Cadets youth groups gather weekly. club=???
>
> In other words: why does the Scouts movement have it's own club=  value?
> While, in my opinion, scout is not a generic description that covers all.

My guess is because OSM was started by somebody in the UK; OSM is
(supposedly) based upon
British English usage; the UK has scouts but not Chiro or KSA.  OSM has
scouts because back
in the early days we wanted to map scouts but had no need to map Chiro.

I don't see why you can't use club=chiro (as long as it is actually a
club).  To map it as club=scout
would be misleading to foreign visitors who might enter it and wiggle their
woggle (or whatever
it is that scouts do).

To quote from the wiki page: "An example list of common kind of club bases:
[...]" so that list
is not exhaustive.  Also "If you find no suitable club=* tag add one or use
club=yes." so you
are explicitly permitted add other (sensible) values.

I'd say that unless somebody comes up with a valid objection, just go with
club=chiro.  And if
you do, you should probably add it to the wiki so somebody doesn't come
along in 3 months
and ask how to map Chiro or why club=chiro isn't in the wiki.

--
Paul