[Tagging] edit war about deletion of proposal

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:56:26 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM François Lacombe
<fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Past proposals are *always* useful knowledge, even if strong issues has been pointed during voting or RFC.
> I'm not in favor to delete anything, as to show a little respect to someone who took time to make things better.

At the very least, we want to preserve the discussion, and the
rationale for why the idea was considered and rejected, or else the
same idea will sooner or later be put forward again by someone
ignorant of the history.

Moreover, I'm all for documenting tags as soon as a mapper starts
using them. The wiki page can (ought to?) indicate that the tags are
unapproved, but we at least want to get a record of what the mapper
intended.

Unless we've abandoned
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like, we certainly
should not forbid the use of unapproved tags. Moreover, the process of
creating a proposal and seeing it through the discussion here is - I
can relate from my personal experience - extremely intimidating and
frustrating. (That's for good reason, and I applaud those who are
passionate about making the best map possible, but ultimately "the
perfect is the enemy of the good.") If unapproved tags for new feature
classes cannot be used, it may be years before a mapper can add the
features, and those features are likely not to be mapped because the
mapper will simply abandon the project out of exhaustion or
frustration.

Clearly, we don't want to have mappers inventing their own tagging for
existing common objects, but that tends to be self-correcting as soon
as the mapper discovers that there is established tagging that
renderers, routers and navigation systems already use. But for
uncommon features that are likely not yet of broad interest,
experimental tagging without first going through a "Mother, may I?"
process is implicitly encouraged by
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like.