[Tagging] Mountain Ranges

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 23:12:11 UTC 2019

On 09/02/19 11:22, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Thanks for working on this. I had been meaning to reopen the proposal.
>
> No need to introduce a new key. natural=mountain_range is fine, and
> has been in use.

For me the key 'natural' is not good. It has a common meaning that goes
against the OSM definition.

Not all land forms are 'natural' by the common meaning of the word.
So I'd rather use a word that says what it is without any confusion - a
land form.

> > To map:
> > - as a node - centred on the area
> > - a simple open way along hte
> spine of the range
>
> Yes, both of these are good. If a way is used it should follow the
> natural=ridge ways.

Not all part of a range have ridges - some have plateaus.
> A natural=mountain_range will probably consist of several ridges which
> meet at natural=saddle points.
>
> > a closed way on the area of the range or a relation
> > consisting of ways forming a closed area of the range.
>
> These will be quite hard to define. Do you go all the way down into
> the valley or plains till the land is flat? Or only surround the
> higher elevations?

Some have already been mapped that way. I don't know of the
source/method of determination.

> I’d recommend sticking with a linear way or node.

If a node then some may want a relation - the node as the lable, and
other nodes that are peaks of the range, ways that are ridges of the
range .. and so on.
If a way some may want a relation - the ways as the spine, nodes as
peaks .. and possibly some ways as side ridges ...

???
I don't know.

For me I'd just map the spine as a way.