[Tagging] start_date variants

Stephan Bösch-Plepelits skunk at xover.mud.at
Sat Feb 16 21:01:47 UTC 2019

I'm a bit confused by this thread, somehow I have the impression I missed
something (that's why I left TOFU in this mail).

Anyway, I'd like to summarize:

There are many-many objects (most of them buildings - 96%) tagged with
start_date=* - I think, that's great. start_date is quite well documented
and very flexible concerning ranges and approximations.

My suggestion was to use a prefix "building:" if the start_date of the
building differs from the start_date of the amenity. It is not very common
though right now, with only 163 uses. Only 9 have both start_date and
building:start_date.

When investigating this issue - triggered by this thread, I/we discovered
that there are alternative building age tagging schemes.

I made a search through taginfo and found some more tags:

* "building:age" - very popular (132071), but rather useless. 41% have the
  value "post_2000", 19% "pre_2000". 12.9% "10_to_30" (should this mean "
  10 to 30 years? - this is wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to
  start).
  It's documented on the start_date page as possible tagging mistake.
  https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building%3Aage#values
* "building:year_built" - some (3005). Mostly start year or in some cases
  approximations (but different syntax from start_date).
  I found no documentation at all.
  https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building%3Ayear_built#values
* "building:buildyear" - some (2051). Only very few objects use
  approxiations.
  As mentioned by Sergio, it was introduced in the IndoorOSM proposal.
  https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building%3Abuildyear#values
* "year_built" - some (2417, whereas many might not be buildings).
  No documentation.
  https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/year_built#values
* "building:year" - few (102).
  It's documented on the start_date page as possible tagging mistake.
  https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building:year#values

It seems, that 'start_date' is be the preferred way to tag the age of a
building. Tag is popular and well documented.
I took the liberty of adding it to the additional attribute section on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building

What I wanted, was to introduce a way to highlight different start_dates
for the same object (e.g. old building, new use). I personally
would prefer 'building:start_date' as fallback, as it uses the same syntax
as start_date. And it could be applied to other keys as well (and this is
being used).

Do you think, that any of the other tags should be supported as well?

Anyway, I will modify the OpenStreetBrowser category to also supprt
"building:year_built", "building:buildyear", "yearbuilt" and
"building:year" (but with the syntax of the start_date tag). "building:age"
will be shown red (date format not supported).

I'm planning to introduce some quality assurance tools in OpenStreetBrowser
in the near future. I would show these alternative tagging schemes as
warnings.

greetings,
	Stephan

--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich