[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Eugene Podshivalov yaugenka at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:45:14 UTC 2019

The primary concern of mine about the current definitios of drain and ditch
is that some people are differentiating them by size.
Since there is no consent on "drain" tag deprecation, I suggest to at least
correct the current definitions to prevent the misuse.

We can either make a clear distinction between the two as suggested in
Varian #1 in
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-February/042762.html

or stay close to dictionary definitions which assumes some overlapping
between the meanings. Here is an example:
drain - a narrow artificial open-air channel that takes away waste liquids
or rainwater
ditch - a narrow channel dug at the side of a road or field to hold, bring
or carry away water

Cheers,
Eugene