[Tagging] Clarification unclassified vs residential

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Feb 22 16:40:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 05:23:36PM +0100, Jan S wrote:
> I understand the documentation of the highway tag as indicating that
> "unclassified" indeed designates a more important road than
> "residential". Under "usage" it reads: "See the table below for an
> ordered list from most important (motorway) to least important
> (service)." And as "unclassified" is above "residential", I would
> consider it as being more important (although this may not be
> respected by routing engines).
>
> Also, there is nothing to support that residential roads were to be
> used within city limits only. Residential roads are described as an
> "access to housing" or "accessing or around residential areas".
> Residential areas may also well be unincorporated groups of houses
> (thinking e.g. of task description for HOT OSM tasks in Africa).

I have never said that residential may only be used in city limits.
I have said that as soon as there is usage for residential purposes
its not unclassified - Thats exactly the terminology from the wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified
	"Public roads of low importance within town and cities that are not
	residential may also be highway=unclassified."

Residential roads are by definition:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=residential
	"This tag is used for roads accessing or around residential areas."

So - bringing this together - as soon as there is residential usage
it cant be unclassified? Am i so wrong?

Flo