[Tagging] Clarification unclassified vs residential

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:59:28 UTC 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 16:42, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:

> I have never said that residential may only be used in city limits.
> I have said that as soon as there is usage for residential purposes
> its not unclassified - Thats exactly the terminology from the wiki:

[...]

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=residential
>         "This tag is used for roads accessing or around residential areas."
>
> So - bringing this together - as soon as there is residential usage
> it cant be unclassified? Am i so wrong?

It depends how you define "residential usage."  Years ago, my walk to work
(from a bus stop) took
me along a mile of unclassified road.  I actually saw a planning order
pinned to a telephone pole
referring to it as U1234 (the real number has been changed to protect the
innocent), so I know
it was officially unclassified.  About halfway along was a cluster of three
or four cottages.  Some
people would map that as a residential area, although there were no signs
indicating it was a named
hamlet.  I wouldn't class that as a residential road, not even the brief
section with the cottages.  It's
an unclassified road with some houses and that's how I'd map it.
Residential areas, to me, are
named localities.

--
Paul