[Tagging] request for review: OSM wiki rewording of tourism=motel based on Wikipedia

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 22:59:48 UTC 2019

LeTopographeFou wrote:

> I also reached this conclusion some time ago but looking at how it is
difficult to change something regarding tagging I stop authorizing myself
thinking that such situation CAN be changed. However I'm not >affraid of
such major change if it can bring enhancement. I'm ok to consider a
proposal which would lead to the tourism=accomodation schema.

I think such a page would be useful and I encourage you to write it as a
proposal. It's going to be an uphill battle to promote a change in the
basic tagging at this late date but an accommodation page would be a great
start. As for mappers in countries where the distinction between types of
accommodation is set in legal terms, they can just continue tagging the way
it's always been done.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:47 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 at 23:52, LeTopographeFou <letopographefou at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm ok to consider a proposal which would lead to the
>> tourism=accomodation schema.
>>
>> But I think that whatever we do (new schema vs existing schema) an
>> "Accomodation" wiki page (routing to hotel/motel/... tags) will be helpfull
>> to today route to existing tags and maybe tomorrow explain the new schema.
>>

> I agree with most of what has been said here, especially "the only
> practical distinction today is the name on the front sign", however
>
>> Le 01/01/2019 à 03:23, Silent Spike a écrit :
>>
>> the current information there considers motels to be a subclass of hotels
>> (so all motels are hotels, not all hotels are motels).

> authorities *do* differentiate between them, in that a hotel is licensed
> to sell alcohol, while a motel isn't. Granted, that doesn't effect
> accommodation options, but a motel is not, strictly speaking, a hotel.
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska