[Tagging] request for review: OSM wiki rewording of tourism=motel based on Wikipedia

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 22:46:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 at 23:52, LeTopographeFou <letopographefou at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm ok to consider a proposal which would lead to the tourism=accomodation
> schema.
>
> But I think that whatever we do (new schema vs existing schema) an
> "Accomodation" wiki page (routing to hotel/motel/... tags) will be helpfull
> to today route to existing tags and maybe tomorrow explain the new schema.

I agree with most of what has been said here, especially "the only
practical distinction today is the name on the front sign", however

> Le 01/01/2019 à 03:23, Silent Spike a écrit :
>
> the current information there considers motels to be a subclass of hotels
> (so all motels are hotels, not all hotels are motels).

*do* differentiate between them, in that a hotel is licensed to sell
alcohol, while a motel isn't. Granted, that doesn't effect accommodation
options, but a motel is not, strictly speaking, a hotel.

Thanks

Graeme