[Tagging] Dispute on tagging place=* in Turkmenistan

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Wed Jan 2 02:18:15 UTC 2019

Very interesting.  In the Turkmen case, the classifications are defined in
law and involve both size (though population data are secret) and type of
governance structure (for full details please see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Turkmenistan#Administrative_Structure).

Is it fair to call a settlement a "neighbourhood" when it has a governance
structure (a village council with a chair who serves effectively as the
municipal manager/mayor)?  In my experience a "neighbourhood" lacks any
sort of governance structure aside from (sometimes) Neighborhood Watch.

apm-wa