[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Wed Jan 2 22:42:19 UTC 2019

Am 02.01.2019 um 19:42 Kevin Kenny wrote:

> At the risk of repeating myself:
>
> I think I'd need more concrete examples before I'd support such a
> proposal.

Yes, I second this request.

> If 'trailhead' degenerates into 'any intersection of a trail and a
> highway' (which is what it is in that National Park Service database)
> then it's kind of redundant.

My examples below show they are rather a placeholder for 'any
intersection of a trail and a highway' .

> It appears to me that the Europeans have
> a more specific idea of what a 'trailhead' is - but I don't quite
> understand that idea, and I suspect that's because there are no
> trailheads of that sort near me, despite the fact that I'm within an
> hour's drive of hundreds of hiking trails, including a handful of 'big
> name' long-distance ones.
Please don't generalize. From a German perspective I share your
uneasiness (see my earlier remarks). Funnily, I always had the
impression that in the US you have the more specific idea of what a
trailhead is. :-)

I looked at some of the trailheads in the Netherlands
(http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/EV4):

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6141092027
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6141092007
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6141092068

All were tourism=information + information=board but none were in any
way connected to a trail let alone to any other highway=* feature. Often
there wasn't even a tagged route/trail nearby. As such I understand the
hw=trailhead is important to find such trail on the map in the first
place if the trail itself is not or cannot be mapped.

What I don't understand is why the highway tag is used to carry the
information. The way you have mapped the trailheads Peter I would leave
them under some subkey of information, e.g. tourism=information +
information=board + board_type=trailhead.

In the proposal the hw=trailhead is supposed to "be mapped as a node or
a node that is part of a trail segment (i.e.,highway=path) and should be
tagged primarily as highway=trailhead".
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/trailhead#Tagging)

As a side note: Looking at the examples I found that you added keys like
wikipedia=nl:Toeristisch Overstappunt
url=https://gpsfietsroutesnederland.nl/toeristische-overstappunten/
website=https://www.natuurpoorten.nl/

These are all generic references that could be added to the OSM wiki
page. On the individual trailheads I would expect a website of the
specific trail.

Regards,

Tobias