[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Mapping disputed boundaries (Version 1.6)

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Thu Jan 3 00:30:20 UTC 2019

Hi, Graeme, and thanks for the question. As I understand it (from reading
the wikipedia article and others), each country controls its territory up
to the cease-fire line. The zone is demilitarized, yes, but still policed.
And if you cross the line, you'll be stopped by someone from the other
side. It's not like the Cyprus buffer zone, for instance, which is
patrolled by the UN (and would be tagged controlled_by=UN).

So if my reading is correct, the Korean DMZ (two DMZs, actually) would not
need a separate controlled_by tag. North Korea (code KP) as a whole
(including its DMZ) would be claimed_by=KP;KR + controlled_by=KP. South
Korea (code KR) as a whole (including its DMZ) would be claimed_by=KP;KR +
controlled_by=KR.

Cheers,
John