[Tagging] Trail register

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Fri Jan 4 21:22:12 UTC 2019

On 1/4/2019 4:10 PM, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> My Overpass-fu is failing me here. The only similar thing I'm turning
> up is summit=register, which is the "record your visit" case, rather
> than "you must sign in and out here," and is specific to a mountain
> peak. There are a few dozen "tourism=register" nodes in Austria, but I
> don't actually understand what they represent - a quick look at
> Overpass Turbo shows them as being adjacent to caves and peaks, so I
> suspect they're also "record your visit and read the remarks of
> others" books.
>
> Has anyone here tagged anything similar to the case I have in mind of,
> do it?"

Personally I'd be inclined to ignore the legal thou-shalt-sign-in
aspects here and simply tag the register because it's a good landmark.
Probably just "man_made=trail_register", keep it simple and unambiguous.

(I have found memories of Huntersfield Mountain! Stayed in the lean-to,
made a stew, met a fat porcupine up there. Haven't been back since the
Long Path was rerouted...)

Jmb