[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:35:56 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 11:32 AM Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not convinced that the things on that page
> https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toeristisch_Overstappunt really are
> "trailheads" in any accepted English sense ("trailhead" is mostly an
> American English concept rather than a British English one).

I thought we'd arrived at a rough consensus that a trailhead is a
designated or customary point at which a trip on a trail begins or
ends. Are we back to trying to warp the definition so that only
Toeristich Overstappunt qualifies?

I can see some value to displaying, say, a "hiking" icon at trailheads
on a map whose theme is outdoor recreation, so I'm not against tagging
them. In fact, I'd be willing sporadically to add this tag when
mapping or updating a trailhead.

If it's an American English word, then Toeristich Overstappunt strikes
me as a poor translation. We simply don't have a system like that over
here.