[Tagging] Quick Building tracing question...

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 23:53:06 UTC 2019

>> If you had street-level imagery that may change things?
>
> As Graeme says - you cannot tell from satellite imagery.

on this particular imagery, I can tell because they are trucking distribution warehouses, which have a distinctive cantilevered roof that is easily discernible form imagery,such as this one:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/500728029 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/500728029> (with an attached roof)mapped on it

if it was just a storage warehouse for a random company, it would be impossible, but these are easy.

> building=yes on the whole lot of it. Maybe add a "note=warehouse? and part building=roof, layer=1”?

we do have building=warehouse, an iD preset with it’s own custom icon.

if the building and roof share nodes, and there is no driveway expected to be mapped under it, is the layer=1 necessary?

> Or try to get UltimaSnorlax to fix them?

Thankfully, they are not slathering my area in mangled polygons and non-existent tracks anymore - I asked them to clean up their work, but they never responded.

they did map some named POIs that were a good addition, but almost every single way and polygon they drew has to be erased or heavily edited - and they were prolific for a year or so. Thankfully they stopped mapping a few months ago. They were all about mapping for z10, and by z13-15 it looked like a toddler’s crayon drawing. I’d rather clean up their mess than discover another 300 track ways through rice fields that don’t exist, or waterways mapped as highways; all of them half-sharing nodes with each other and every building and waterway that happen to be near the bird’s nest of ways he was creating.

Javbw