[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:00:07 UTC 2019

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 16:42, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Markus, you can find that in the "How to Map" section of the ditch proper page:
> "If the ditch is used for irrigation, the usage of irrigation=yes is proposed."
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dditch
> i.e. irrigation ditche should be maps as waterway=ditch + irrigation=yes.

Oh, please excuse me, I missed that.

It says 'proposed', so it isn't standard mapping practice. I also
couldn't find any discussion about that tag:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.openstreetmap.org+%22irrigation%3Dyes%22

Besides, the standard tag for waterway tagging is usage=*, e.g.
usage=irrigation:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:usage#With_waterways

I propose to delete that proposal from the wiki as it contradicts the
definition of waterway=ditch.