[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Jan 11 19:03:29 UTC 2019

Most of what I’d call a drain around here would be large underground pipes designed to carry storm water. Empty most of the time except perhaps for a trickle of water from various urban/suburban watering overflow. Used most of the time by raccoons, possums and rats as away to navigate through or shelter in an area without having to worry about being attacked by neighborhood dogs, though the larger ones could be attractive for adventuresome teenage boys to explore.

I’d call the open air, usually concrete lined, versions “storm channels” though that might be a local colloquial. Many/most of those follow reasonably close to the alignment of the original natural waterways and often carry the same name as the original (e.g. “Santa Ana River”, “Los Angele River”, etc.). Again “river” would be a historic term as they are often dry except during or immediately after a storm.

Cheers!