[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:01:47 UTC 2019

During the RFC of waterways for power generation proposal several
discussion raised because of some waterways values. Drain and ditches were
ones of them.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Hydropower_water_supplies

Currently, both canal and drain refer to structure and usage also.
Canal is designed for useful water while drain is intended for waste water.
usage=* comes to give more information of what canal is intended for.

Regarding ditch, it regards both useful and waste water.

If we choose to be consistent in waterway=* values, waterway=drain should
be abandonned in favor of canal + appropriate usage=* values.
Then we'll obtain waterway=canal for artificial waterways whatever their
usage and waterway=river, stream and ditch for natural or not-lined
watercourses.

It's long time changes, see the table here :
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway#Values

All the best

François