[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 11 21:08:21 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:03:29AM -0800, Tod Fitch wrote:
> Most of what I’d call a drain around here would be large underground pipes designed to carry storm water. Empty most of the time except perhaps for a trickle of water from various urban/suburban watering overflow. Used most of the time by raccoons, possums and rats as away to navigate through or shelter in an area without having to worry about being attacked by neighborhood dogs, though the larger ones could be attractive for adventuresome teenage boys to explore.

Same in UK: I forgot to mention them. The pipes serving domestic houses
and draining water from roads are all "drains", and by extension also
for the entrance grills in roads and the like. That includes sewers as
well. But I guess few of them would be mapped in OSM unless particularly
large or significant. Back to the point: it would be unnatural to tag
them as canals! Some might overlap with culverts?

ael