[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 15:44:19 UTC 2019

Hi

Le sam. 12 janv. 2019 à 11:26, ael <law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com> a écrit :

> As other have implied, these are not called canals in UK English: but
> maybe there are exceptions. Mill streams or Mill races are the usual
> terms. I am not familiar with any special terms for fountains: I would
> expect a phrase like "piped supply" in most (underground) cases.

The Oxford Dictionary includes irrigation in the purpose of a canal
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/canal

The millrace is implemented in OSM with two usage=* values :
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:usage%3Dheadrace
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:usage%3Dtailrace

That's two particular usages of some waterways including canal or
pressurised waterways.

All the best

François