[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 08:06:09 UTC 2019

>Possibly a separate page again for shop=motorhome? (I think that would be
a good coverall term?)

I would prefer that but it's an American term. We might as well just stay
with caravan. Plus, I do think the tag you're proposing could, with enough
thought, be made to work for all types of recreational_vehicles/caravans.

There was a thread just a while ago on this list discussing ti-lo's solo
initiative to upgrade motorcycle=shop tagging. It was/is a sensible scheme
that integrated the functions of dealer, parts shop and accessories shop by
using subtags to make the distinctions. (See the Services section:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dmotorcycle#Services_tags).
His scheme was criticized because he didn't discuss it fully enough on this
list but aside from that, I liked the idea. The main tag and all subtags
except those that already stand on their own, begin with the same keyword,
motorcycle, and proceed from there, adding as much detail as desired or
known.

Hence, one might have
caravan:parts=yes
caravan:accessories=yes/no
caravan:sales=yes/no
caravan:type=type_a/type_b/type_c/fifth_wheel/trailer
second_hand=yes/only
caravan:propulsion=trailer/yes/solar_powered (wishful thinking)  [also
gas/diesel?]

The caravan:types are well-known to anyone shopping for RVs (in America for
sure but Europe or Asia, I dunno) but the tag is optional. Use it for
fine-grained tagging, ignore it otherwise.

Dave

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska