[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 08:34:30 UTC 2019

On 13/01/19 19:06, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> >Possibly a separate page again for shop=motorhome? (I think that
> would be a good coverall term?)
>
> I would prefer that but it's an American term. We might as well just
> stay with caravan. Plus, I do think the tag you're proposing could,
> with enough thought, be made to work for all types of
> recreational_vehicles/caravans.
There is a difference.
Caravans attach to a motor vehicle for moment.
Motor homes/campers are self propelled.

> There was a thread just a while ago on this list discussing ti-lo's
> solo initiative to upgrade motorcycle=shop tagging. It was/is a
> sensible scheme that integrated the functions of dealer, parts shop
> and accessories shop by using subtags to make the distinctions. (See
> the Services section:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dmotorcycle#Services_tags).
> His scheme was criticized because he didn't discuss it fully enough on
> this list but aside from that, I liked the idea. The main tag and all
> subtags except those that already stand on their own, begin with the
> same keyword, motorcycle, and proceed from there, adding as much
> detail as desired or known.
>
> Hence, one might have
> caravan:parts=yes
> caravan:accessories=yes/no
> caravan:sales=yes/no
> caravan:type=type_a/type_b/type_c/fifth_wheel/trailer
type?  caravan:classification=* ? classifications could be local legal
ones. Other things are descriptions .. and OSM has a tag for that.
> second_hand=yes/only
> caravan:propulsion=trailer/yes/solar_powered (wishful thinking)  [also
> gas/diesel?]
I say again, caravans are not self propelled - they need to be pulled
along by something.
Oxford Dictionary: A vehicle equipped for living in, typically towed by
a car.
Origin Late 15th century (in caravan (sense 2)): from French caravane,
from Persian kārwān. The sense ‘covered horse-drawn wagon’ dates from
the early 19th century.

> The caravan:types are well-known to anyone shopping for RVs (in
> America for sure but Europe or Asia, I dunno) but the tag is optional.
> Use it for fine-grained tagging, ignore it otherwise.

In the UK smaller 'back' roads are narrow - Toyota Landcrusiers are seen
as too wide, an American small Winabago is UK huge.