[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:07:22 UTC 2019

Wow, so much for me naively thinking that caravan was a universal word!
Should know better by now :-)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 21:58, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 09:10, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Graeme mentioned propulsion so I assumed we were talking about what in
>> the U.S. would be called motorhomes. Maybe then two top-level tags are
>> needed, as he suggested. One for caravans or trailers, another for powered
>> motorhomes, aka RVs.

That's starting to look like it may be the best answer.

Have a question about searching though, which was raised previously. You
have a place that deals in both (self-propelled) "motorhomes" & also
(towed) "caravans", & it's tagged as a shop=caravan, with caravan=yes &
also motorhome=yes (ignoring the exact wording for the moment).

If you search for motorhome, will it be found because the details include
motorhome=yes, or would you have to search for caravan, because it's tagged
as a shop=caravan? (Sorry, I know that's badly worded but can't think of a
better way of putting it)

There are more subdivisions than that, as I found out when I googled for a
> more inclusive term.
> In the US the term RV is a blanket term covering self-propelled, trailers
> and all other
> sub-categories

That may be the best overall term?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_vehicle "A *recreational vehicle*
 (*RV*) is a motor vehicle <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle> or
trailer <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_(vehicle)> which includes
living quarters designed for accommodation"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recreational_vehicles

> I'm unhappy with using that term because people ride motorbikes (vehicles)
> for fun (recreation) and the same applies to sand buggies, golf carts, etc.

To me it suggests four-wheel drives / off-roaders!

> However, there does appear to be a better term.  From
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorhome
> (the bold emphasis is mine):
>
> Motorhomes are part of the much larger associated group of *mobile homes*
> which includes
> caravans, also known as tourers, and static caravans.
>
> So mobile_home appears to cover it.

Not really, sorry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_home: "A *mobile home* (also *trailer*
, *trailer home*, *house trailer*, *static caravan*, *residential caravan*)
is a prefabricated <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabrication>structure,
built in a factory on a permanently attached chassis before being
transported to site (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as
permanent homes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home>, or for holiday or
temporary accommodation, they are left often permanently or
semi-permanently in one place"

Thanks

Graeme