[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 09:44:31 UTC 2019

Americans would call them travel trailers, or camper trailers, and I would
also categorize fifth-wheel campers as trailers, despite their sometimes
enormous size, because they are pulled by a separate vehicle.

Paul wrote earlier:
In the US the term RV is a blanket term covering self-propelled, trailers
and all other sub-categories

To continue exploring that suggestion, we could create a new top-level tag,
say shop=recreational_vehicle, or shop=rv, further characterize it using
sells=trailed;self_propelled or some similar term, and then go on to flesh
out the details using other sub-tags as previously suggested.
Recreation_vehicle covers all the bases, is newer a term than caravan so
perhaps less "loaded" with historical baggage, and would work best for the
country within which the lion's share of such vehicles are bought and sold.


On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:41 AM Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 13, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > So what do you call "little houses on wheels that are towed behind your
> car to stay in when you go on holidays"? :-)
> >
> > Are they just "trailers"
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Graeme
> “Travel trailers”.
> A generic plain “trailer” is probably for cargo or hauling your ATV,
> snowmobiles or “dirt bikes”.
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Travel Blog at http://dswarthout.blogspot.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20190114/a734e5fe/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list