[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 13:23:23 UTC 2019

On 13/01/2019 23:42, Warin wrote:
> On 14/01/19 09:07, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> Wow, so much for me naively thinking that caravan was a universal
>> word! Should know better by now :-)
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 21:58, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     However, there does appear to be a better term.  From
>>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorhome
>>     (the bold emphasis is mine):
>>
>>     Motorhomes are part of the much larger associated group of
>>     *mobile homes* which includes
>>     caravans, also known as tourers, and static caravans.
>>
>>     So mobile_home appears to cover it.
>>

>> Not really, sorry
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_home: "A *mobile home* (also
>> *trailer*, *trailer home*, *house trailer*, *static caravan*,
>> *residential caravan*) is a prefabricated
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabrication>structure, built in a
>> factory on a permanently attached chassis before being transported to
>> site (either by being towed or on a trailer). Used as permanent homes
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home>, or for holiday or temporary
>> accommodation, they are left often permanently or semi-permanently in
>> one place"
>>

> It would cover those things that slide in and out of utility vehicles
> and act as accommodation.
>
> I think the 'mobile home' is an acceptable term to cover the lot. Why
> is it unacceptable?
> The emphasise on 'permanent' I think is wrong, but there is enough
> vagueness to accept that 'mobile' means mobile.

Certainly in British English, 'mobile home' has a certain connotation
which makes it unsuitable as a catch-all term. It's virtually a
misnomer, since mobile homes, once sited, almost never move.

Caravan is better, as there is such a thing as a 'motor caravan'
(normally denoting the kind that is simply a conversion of a commercial
van design to provide temporary living accommodation while travelling,
like the classic VW models
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Westfalia_Camper).

--

Steve