[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 21:48:36 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 06:07, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually, id (dunno about other editors) handles this by having aliases of certain terms.  Which would allow mappers to type in RV or mobile home, or caravan or anything else and get shop=whatever_we_decide.
> Yep, that's what I'm thinking about at the moment

I don't have JOSM to hand (I do my mapping at home, and I'm at work),
but I recall that some of its presets even have extra words to clarify
the meaning of terms, so that 'sac_score', for instance, has a
sentence quoted from the Wiki for each of the values. The maintainers
of editors should probably do something like that for whatever term is
chosen for RV, travel-trailer, caravan, ... because UK English doesn't
even *have* all the terms, and the terms that it does have are
understood differently in North America and Australia.

Essentially, I don't think we're going to come up with anything better
than 'do something arbitrary, and open tickets on the four or five
most-widely-used editors asking their maintainers for help.'