[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 08:17:21 UTC 2019

I appreciate your efforts on this, Graeme, believe me. However, seeing as
motorhome and recreational_vehicle are so similar, I would use motorhome as
a top-level tag with RVs being a special type of motorhome and have a
separate shop=mobile_home page. Then all bases are covered. Mobile_home
covers the odd case of the wheeled structure that is usually installed
semi-permanently in a trailer park (see proposed feature for this
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Trailer_Park) or
similar neighborhood. Note that on that page for anenity=trailer_park, they
state: "As an amenity, this makes sense for truly mobile homes (aka
recreational vehicles aka caravans". However, that definition should be
changed to match our new definitions should you proceed along the path
we're discussing. Confusion in terminology rears its ugly head on that page
as well.  LOL

Also, if this split was to be adopted, how best then to differentiate a
recreational_vehicle (powered, suitable for camping, but not a large
motorhome) from the larger class of motorhomes? Good question. Maybe we
could just assume that RVs are also motorhomes and let it go at that.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 8:55 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> OK, so after taking in everybody's thoughts & comments (thanks! :-)), I've
> come up with:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dcaravan
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shop%3Dmotorhome
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shop%3Drecreational_vehicle