[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 12:15:55 UTC 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 08:24, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I appreciate your efforts on this, Graeme, believe me. However, seeing as
> motorhome and recreational_vehicle are so similar, I would use motorhome as
> a top-level tag with RVs being a special type of motorhome and have a
> separate shop=mobile_home page. Then all bases are covered. Mobile_home
> covers the odd case of the wheeled structure that is usually installed
> semi-permanently in a trailer park (see proposed feature for this
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Trailer_Park) or
> similar neighborhood. Note that on that page for anenity=trailer_park, they
> state: "As an amenity, this makes sense for truly mobile homes (aka
> recreational vehicles aka caravans". However, that definition should be
> changed to match our new definitions should you proceed along the path
> we're discussing. Confusion in terminology rears its ugly head on that page
> as well.  LOL

I won't bother giving the links again, but Wikipedia (yes, I know) uses
"mobile home" as an
encompassing term for trailers/touring caravans/RVs/everything that can be
lived in and can be
moved.  Which accords well with the meaning of the words "mobile" and
"home."

I'll also note that at various times, people in this thread have given
names to types of mobile
home that are used in various countries and that in most of those lists
"mobile home" does
not appear as a specific ctegory.  I'll also note that  the various
all-encompassing terms that
many have proposed, such as your own "motorhome" DO appear in those lists
as specific
types of mobile home.

But what the hey, let;'s go against the literal meaning of the words, let's
ignore what is used in
practice by the industry in various countries and let's change existing
wiki definitions because
reasons.  And, while we're at it, let's change the two pertinent Wikipedia
pages to match our
alternative reality.

--
Paul