[Tagging] Drain vs. ditch

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:32:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 1:05 PM EthnicFood IsGreat
<ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Then what would you call a natural waterway that is too small to be a
> stream?

The Wiki says that a stream is small enough to be stepped over, but
gives no lower bound.

I can't think of many permanent watercourses around here that are
small enough to step over. Rock-hop, usually. Sometimes wade. I
personally don't switch from 'waterway=stream' to 'waterway=river'
until I'm telling myself that I might someday want to map the banks.

You can rock-hop https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/21811867291 in a
dry season if you're more coordinated than I am (I wound up with boots
full of water), but at 30 m across it's still a river. In springtime
that crossing is completely impassable.