[Tagging] Drain vs. ditch

EthnicFood IsGreat ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:23:42 UTC 2019

> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 18:11:20 +0000
> From: Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Drain vs. ditch
>

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 18:05, EthnicFood IsGreat <
> ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Then what would you call a natural waterway that is too small to be a
>> stream?
>>
>> Two possibilities.
> 1) A stream.
>
> 2) Not worth mapping.
>
> Take your pick. :)
>
> --
> Paul

Well, call it micromapping if you want, but I've mapped many of these in
the midwestern US.  I do most of my mapping in the country, and
sometimes these are the only features to map in a certain area without
the map being blank.  I have been tagging them as drains, because they
are too small to be called a stream, and they are not artificial, so
they are not ditches.  (At least in the OSM sense.)  Many of them start
out as being just a swale in a farmer's field, where they are usually
intermittent.  Many of them are named.

Mark