[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:49:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 17:35, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:

> A trailhead is the start of a trail, but I haven't seen the definition
> of a trail yet.

Wikipedia: A *trail* is usually a *path*, *track* or unpaved lane or road.

In Australia, the term *track* can be used interchangeably with trail, and
can refer to anything from a dirt road
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirt_road> to an unpaved pedestrian path
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footpath>.

> An American trail seems like a long distance walking route in the
> wilderness. It's probably the same in Australia, Is that
> interpretation correct ?

Frequently, but not always!

Yes, they often are long (& sometimes *very* long!) but can also be quite
short - ~300m?

Same thing for "wilderness" - yes, frequently, but not always.

> Is that a requirement for a trail ? If so,
> you will be disappointed by what there trails are behind the
> trailheads in The Netherlands (or Belgium).

Maybe not disappointed, but possibly surprised (?) at how small & cramped
everything is, in the same way that you would be shocked / amazed by what
you found here! :-)

Thanks

Graeme