[Tagging] Tag an information panel

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sat Jan 19 14:39:32 UTC 2019

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 08:29, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 at 09:58, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com> wrote:
>> -Information about the capacity of a parking
>
> Tag the capacity of the car park itself.  It's more useful.  People may use the query tool (or
> similar techniques) to look at the tags for the car park and notice the capacity.  They're less
> likely to use it on nearby nodes just in case they happen to be a sign indicating the
> capacity of the car park.  amenity=parking + capacity=n (+ capacity:disabled=n).

I think what's being referred to here is "real-time parking guidance".
So you have 3 multi-level parking garages in city centre, and a sign
will tell you the current remaining capacity in each of them, to help
you choose the best one. It's in The Other Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_guidance_and_information

In Toronto I've seen a guidepost=vms (variable-message sign)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3396319411 though this does not
appear to be standard.

>> Is there any kind of tagging? Should we create new one?
>
> The first thing you should do, before creating new tags and BEFORE asking here, is to
> have a look around the wiki.

Sure. There's nothing in the wiki about parking guidance displays.
What I did find useful was checking how things are mapped in various
well-mapped cities. For parking availability guidance, I'd guess I
would suggest checking Munich, maybe Oslo?

--Jarek