[Tagging] defining service on railway=tram

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 22 20:51:07 UTC 2019

Jan 19, 2019, 9:48 PM by jarek at piorkowski.ca:

> Hello,
>
> First time posting here, forgive if I've missed some rules.

Evertthing
is right and welcome!

> show what they're used for, and found this isn't standardized and
> isn't documented.
>
> I would like to suggest updating wiki for Key:service to specify
> recommendations for railway=tram:
>
> 1. no service tag recommended for tracks that are regularly used in
> scheduled service, including loops and tail tracks

Also part of loops that are never used to carry passengers, right?

> 2. service=yard for tracks within and leading to tram storage and work
> areas ("yards", "garages", "depots" - where trams are parked
> overnight, maintained, light repairs)

Looks correct to me.

> 3. service=siding for tracks not used for normally scheduled passenger
> service (including diversion-only, emergency, non-revenue trackage, as
> well as turn tracks not used in scheduled service)

What about tracks regularly used for irregular service?
In my city it would be
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.04996&mlon=19.94753#map=18/50.04996/19.94753&layers=N <https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.04996&mlon=19.94753#map=18/50.04996/19.94753&layers=N>

> 4. service=crossover for crossover tracks (where dual-ended trams
> change direction - only use between two main tracks with no service
> tag - otherwise use service tag of the tracks that are connected)

I see no problem here.