[Tagging] defining service on railway=tram

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Wed Jan 23 14:53:46 UTC 2019

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 15:51, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
> Evertthing is right and welcome!

Cheers, thank you!

>> 1. no service tag recommended for tracks that are regularly used in
>> scheduled service, including loops and tail tracks
> Also part of loops that are never used to carry passengers, right?

IMO yes, on the same basis we keep one set of tracks through a railway
yard without service=yard, provided that the track is actually
regularly used.

Loop track that exists as a spare or connecting track and is not
frequently used (e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/37216494,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/411526161) would get service=siding
under the rules worded below.

>> 3. service=siding for tracks not used for normally scheduled passenger
>> service (including diversion-only, emergency, non-revenue trackage, as
>> well as turn tracks not used in scheduled service)
> What about tracks regularly used for irregular service?
> In my city it would be
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.04996&mlon=19.94753#map=18/50.04996/19.94753

My first instinct would be to ask: can a passenger expect to stand at
a stop there and regularly board a tram for regular fare, same as with
any other stop in the city? But maybe expectations as to what "normal
service" is are different elsewhere.

I sense a potential difficulty in defining these with iron-clad
accuracy. I'm not sure if that's needed, or is it acceptable to use a
"you'll know it when you see it" guideline?

One more thought: in some systems, you have frequent service (several
times an hour) on "normal" routes and tracks, but a few stops or turn
tracks are used couple of times a day by "depot trips": by vehicles
that are heading towards the yard but technically remain in service
and can be boarded by passengers (in Polish "zjazd do zajezdni"). IMO
I would exclude those from "normal service" if they happen to travel
over track unique to them. But I'm not exactly sure how to define it
without also including smaller systems (tourist- or commute-focused)
that might only have a couple of trips per day in all.

Or maybe we should just let local mappers decide themselves what is
part of the "normal" system.

Here an attempt at making the guidelines more exact:

1. no service tag is given to:
a. tracks serving a stop where a passenger can expect to regularly
board a tram and be subject to the normal fare system
b. tracks that a scheduled tram servicing a route connecting stops as
detailed in 1a travels over

(Commentary:
1a. So, with a "usual" ticket. If the area/city/system offers a
monthly ticket, it should be valid on this tram. Zone fares are
included in systems that use them, special "excursion" or "railfan"
tickets are excluded.
1b. This is intended to cover end-route loops and normally-used bits
of tracks with no stops on them.)

2. service=yard is given to:
a. tracks within tram storage and work areas ("yards", "garages",
"depots" - where trams are parked overnight, maintained, light
repairs)
b. tracks leading to the yard (connecting to tracks described in 2a.),
provided they aren't covered by point 1 (that is, no regular passenger
service stops)

3. service=crossover is given to crossover tracks where dual-ended
trams change direction. Only use it between two main tracks with no
service tag, otherwise use service tag of the tracks that are
connected.

4. service=siding is given to tracks not covered by points 1, 2, or 3
above. It is intended for tracks that are not used for normally
scheduled passenger service, including diversion-only, emergency,
non-revenue trackage, as well as turn tracks not used in normal
scheduled passenger service.

Is that too detailed? Not precise enough?

Thanks,
--Jarek