[Tagging] Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Wed Jan 23 00:52:50 UTC 2019

Only about the cited point (/tagging natural forests as natural=wood/), I think a natural forest should be tagged as natural=forest (/quite logically, I would say.../), while natural=wood should be reserved for "small forests" (/which is one of the possible meaning of "wood" in English, if I'm not mistaken/).

Also please consider that "forest" is very generic, and we could be willing to more exactly define which kind of forest we are tagging (/and eventually have it rendered accordingly/).

To this extent the only way I see in the Wiki is to use the leaf_type=* tag (/and only"broadleaved", "needleleaved" and "mixed" are defined as possible values/).Wikipedia defines 6 types of forest:

But to me a forest is not just "a lot of trees", but an entire ecosystem dominated by trees. And those ecosystems can be very different between different continents and latitudes.

  * Temperate needleleaf
  * Temperate broadleaf and mixed
  * Tropical moist
  * Tropical dry
  * Sparse trees and parkland
  * Forest plantations

I think we should be (somehow) able to tag those types.

Please also check the sixth forest type described in Wikipedia (/Forest plantations/): I think it coincide with the "forestry" concept we are talking about in the thread (/landuse=forestry, or whatever.../).

Cheers,

Sergio