[Tagging] The actual use of the level tag

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 04:04:46 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> [...] addr tags are for postal addresses I don't think using them as a
> level name/ref makes very much sense outside of that very narrow
> application.

I rechecked the two main OSM Wiki pages[1][2] on addr:*=* tags and
addresses in general and there is no indication there that such tags are
only intended to encode postal addresses (aside from the specific
addr:postcode=* tag). Personally, I use addr:*=* tags in any scenario where
addresses can be used, such as in contact/location addresses which is used
when the general public (and not just the postman/mailman) wants to go to
an office, shop, or an establishment. For example, the Consulate-General of
Japan in Hong Kong lists their location where they can be reached[3] as
"46-47/F, One Exchange Square, 8 Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong". I
could then encode this as:

addr:floor=46-47/F
addr:housename=One Exchange Square
addr:housenumber=8
addr:street=Connaught Place
addr:place=Central (tag probably unnecessary if Central is already a
boundary)
addr:city=Hong Kong (probably unnecessary since HK already has a boundary)

As for level=*, I don't know whether this building skips any floor numbers
(4th? 14th? 24th? etc.) so I would hold off on tagging level=* until I get
to see their elevator buttons.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses
[3] https://www.hk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/opentime.html