[Tagging] Fwd: Re: Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:26:40 UTC 2019

On 24/01/19 01:34, althio wrote:
> I might be missing something in these threads, but I would expect...
>
> for managed forest areas with unknown or unspecified use:
> landuse=forestry

Why not natural=wood? That does not exclude "managed".
Other things may also be "managed" - swamps, lakes, heath and scrub for
instance.

How do you know it is 'managed'???
If you know it is "managed" .. what is it "managed" for?

Should there be a tagging system for this "management"?
If so it has to be separate from trees as those are not the only thing
that are managed.

> for managed forest areas used primarily to grow wood as
> timber/fuel/... or anything else:
> landuse=forestry
> + forestry = logging/timber/leisure/wildlife/*

The key produce can be used to specify the output, just as it can be for
the farmers field.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:produce
There are no OSM tags to specify leisure/wildlife .. and those could be
applied to lakes, national parks, etc.