[Tagging] Fwd: Re: Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:59:17 UTC 2019

On 24/01/19 09:36, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 22:17, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     let me just repeat that ...
>
>     "In OSM meaning of word used as key frequently has nearly no
>     relation with meaning of tag."
>

> Unlike you, I do not read that as an endorsement of the practise but
> as a lamentation.
>
> Consider if we decided to tag schools as amenity=restaurant and
> restaurants as
> landcover=trees.  Not a problem, because OSM meaning has nearly no
> relation to
> natural language usage, right?  With the right lookup table in editor
> presets and
> renderers it would work.  Apart from when a mapper looks at the raw tag...
>
> Ideally, OSM meaning would always match natural British English
> meaning.  Because
> otherwise we end up with things like landuse=forest (intended for
> logging) being used to
> map areas of trees not used for logging.
>
> We should strive to create tags that match their natural British
> English usage and lament
> those cases which do not meet that aim.

True.
Unfortunately most words have many meanings - even in full British
English mode.
In addition the meaning of words drifts over time.
In OSM there needs to be a definition stated so that the meaning is
clear, or at least as clear as it can be made and does not change
(without discussion and agreement).
This might be more or less restrictive that what a single person takes
the meaning of the word to be, but across the OSM world can be
understood and used.

That help?