[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:55:27 UTC 2019

Same here. Drains we don't have that much (almost none), but many many
ditches of all sizes ('sloot') and canals of all sizes ('vaart', 'gracht',
'singel').
They carry and store water to and from the land: the whole system is
designed to keep ground water levels fixed in dry times as well as wet
times, no matter how extreme.  So the flow direction is not fixed and the
waterways are used for land drainage, irrigation, fire brigades, drinking
water for cattle, boats and canoes, dumping bodies, murder weapons and
broken bikes, and at times, ice skating. No single dedicated use.
The consequence of mapping all ditches as ways is that in z19 on OSM carto
the land look almost water-less, while in z14 the amount of water looks
much higher than it actually is.

Vr gr Peter Elderson