[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Eugene Podshivalov yaugenka at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:22:15 UTC 2019

> The question that still remains is: what does "small" and "large" mean?

I daresay there is no way and no need to clarify the meanings of "small"
and "large" for artificial waterways. We can leave this up to the user to
decide on it.
Even the definition of a steam as "you can jump over it" is not really
observed. You can jump over a 1-1.5 meter waterway but people are tagging 3
meter wide waterways as steams as well because otherwise there would be a
big difference between the stream 1-1.5 and river 1.5-10 meter width ranges
(waterways greater than 10m can already be mapped with waterbodies, so I
don't mention them there).

In the place where I live drainage ditches and drains can be from 0.1 to 5
meters wide, and anything greater then that can be called a canal.

Cheers,
Eugene