[Tagging] weight limit in short tons

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Sun Jan 27 17:24:15 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-27 17:53, OSMDoudou wrote:
> Indeed, it's very strange to require mappers do the maths when there is a notation to indicate the unit and let the renderers do the maths.

Hi!

Why do you talk about math? Do you expect renderers to automatically convert weights from whatever unit to the one you're using for your locale? Or maybe to use those weight limits as a parameter for the router?

If this is what you want, then the problem is the parsing of the string used to define the units used within the tag: as already pointed out, "ton" is the symbol used for both "long" (UK, imperial) and "short" (US, cental) tons, so we must find a "controlled" way to indicate which measurement system is in use for the tag.

If instead we are not interested in possible computations, then we can live with the customary way to indicate tons, and deduce from the location which kind of tons we are talking about, same as if we were traveling to the place and see the indication on a sign, with our own eyes.

And indeed the same heuristics can possibly be applied to a parser...

Sergio