[Tagging] club=scout for similar organisations

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Jan 31 00:33:14 UTC 2019

> On Jan 31, 2019, at 8:15 AM, marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Scouts and scout do maybe not have the same meaning in belgium.
> I understand club=scout (without a ending S and without an upercase)
> as the "generic" term for any scout-like club

+1

Similar to how brand names become the name for things (kleenex, jello, etc), the term “scout” i think is used as a generic for all of these types of outdoor youth organizations.

I think differentiating it via operator=* and the name=* tag would be enough.

"Boy Scouts” sounds like a name, but is it the Boy Scouts of America? is the Mexico scouts (which are boys and girls)? is it the Boy Scouts of Japan?

it is just a generic for all these types of organizations.

If I saw

name=Chiro Kortrijk
club=scout
operator:Chiro

I would assume it is that Kortrijk City’s meeting place for a regional group similar to the Boy or Girl Scouts - not that is *is* the Boy Scouts of Belgium.

Javbw