[Tagging] Additional tags for camp pitches and campsites (Re: Tag:tourism=camp_pitch)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 03:44:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 at 12:02, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>

> The tag capacity= can be used for the total number of visitors allowed
> too, but yes, "beds=<number>" can be used for the total number of beds
> in a hotel or hospital or guesthouse, so I imagine it works for cabins
> too: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/beds

Yes capacity= would work. Guess that one is an either / or.

> The only problem with "cabin=yes" is that campsites and caravan sites
> uses "cabins=yes" - note the plural "s". I thought it better to reuse
> the same key, but I could go either way.

Tricky one? The park has x number of cabins overall, but there is only 1
cabin per actual site / pitch.

Is "big rig" British English? I know what it means in American
> English, but somehow it doesn't have that "proper" English feel? ;-)

Agree with you there! :-) It's certainly valid in Australia, so we may need
British & European input into what they call very big caravans / motorhomes.

> I've checked into this. In American it is more common to provide "full
> hookups" which include an actual sewage line, for sewage tanks in
> addition to greywater. In contrast, "partial hookups" usually only
> provide electricity and drinking water, but no direct sewer or
> greywater drain at all, in the USA at least.
> So if we want to make a tag, there should be one that describes a
> sewage or "black water" connection as well.
> I think the British English term might be "sewer connection?" It would
> be good to confirm this with an English caravaner.
> So perhaps:
> sewer_connection=yes/no
> greywater_drain=yes/no

While you do sometimes get sites with a private ensuite bathroom beside
them, I've never seen one with an actual sewerage / black water connection
to an individual site (which isn't to say they don't exist!). "Black" water
usually get's emptied into the park's dump point, while "grey" water goes
down the site's drain.

Having said that, sewer_connection & greywater_drain (maybe grey-water?)
would both be fine.

fireplace=yes - if there is a brick/ceramic/stone fireplace with chimney

A very common one (at least in Australia) is the use of old truck wheels as
fire pits https://images.app.goo.gl/b1zWkiULYesikRiC9. Maybe the fireplace
definition could be amended to remove the requirement for "brick" with a


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20190701/25d8ce21/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list