[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Ways divided by paint?

Snusmumriken snusmumriken.mapper at runbox.com
Thu Jul 4 13:16:19 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 10:11 +0000, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 July 2019, Snusmumriken wrote:
> > On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 14:03 -0600, Jack Armstrong Dancer--- via
> > talk
> > wrote:
> > > I've always had the impression we should not create separate
> > > traffic
> > > lanes unless "traffic flows are physically separated by a barrier
> > > (e.g., grass, concrete, steel), which prevents movements between
> > > said
> > > flows."
> >
> > A painted line that has the legal status of "do not cross" is a
> > perfectly fine reason to have a separate way.
> >
> I would strongly disagree with this statement, as others have said
> this is a place for lane mapping.
>
> As a map user I do not see a separate way, it results in confusing
> navigation instructions, turn instead of take the first exit from the
> roundabout.
>
> There are also times when lines are not visible due to snow,
> whiteover with frost or just salt turning the road white.

Where I'm from that would be a poor excuse if caught crossing a solid
line. And wouldn't it be great if your favorite navigation software
could tell you how traffic can legally flow? Even if the weather
condition were such that you couldn't observe the solid line.

Also I don't get how roundabouts are relevant for this discussion.