[Tagging] one feature one element

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Jul 4 16:26:22 UTC 2019

On 7/4/2019 6:33 AM, Warin wrote:
> On 04/07/19 20:09, Janko Mihelić wrote:
>> I've been tagging it with an empty amenity=school polygon around
>> everything, and then two points with amenity=school + name=* + all
>> the other specific tagging.
>
> I too have used similar.
> Usually a polygon/way with one school on it and then a node inside it
> for the other school, or schools if more than one.
>

>> But if mapped like that, a data consumer would see 3 schools. I like
>> your solution with overlapping multipolygons.
>>
>> Janko
>
> On one occasion I have separated then into 2 separate ways, I am
> certain that some of each area will be shared from time to time, but
> it seams to be a good compromise. Every other time I have not had any
> reasonable chance of doing this.
>
> Most people would consider amenity=school to be a land use, along with
> other tags such as leisure=recreation_ground.

As far as I know, amenity=school is the *only* accepted landuse-esque
tagging for school grounds. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landuse
clearly says to tag school grounds as amenity=school, possibly along
with landuse=residential.

Which is unfortunate IMO; I would definitely support a
landuse=education/school tag. These are both in use, =school being about
10 times as popular, but they're not documented and don't render.
(Personally I'd prefer =education because of course somewhere there are
grounds that are shared by both a school and a college.)

For now, I like Martin's multipolygon solution -- for instances where
the indoor portions of the schools are clearly in different buildings or
areas. But what I'm faced with very often in NYC is a single campus,
sometimes with one building and sometimes more, that's shared by several
schools -- and there's no accurate way to divide up the buildings. Even
if someone could do detailed indoor mapping, the rooms and offices will
shift around depending on season, politics, and student population --
and some facilities, both indoor and outdoor, are shared by some or all
of the schools.

For now I've simply placed amenity=school nodes inside the most
prominent building and ignored the grounds. But it's unsatisfactory.

Examples:

If it were possible to do a "multipolygon" where one element was a node,
that world be similar solution to Martin's -- but that's really too
confusing to endorse.

I don't love the idea of marking the grounds with one amenity=school and
using nodes for the others, unless there's clearly one main school and
some less prominent schools. And I certainly don't like the idea of more
amenity=school features than there are schools.

Without a landuse=education area, I don't really see a good way to tag
the grounds in these situations. I'm tempted to go ahead and start
adding these but I'm a bit of a wiki thrall.

(Here's a related post on the German user forum:
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=59981 "Zwei Schulen auf
einem Gelände" and one on the help forum:
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/57320/two-schools-sharing-same-building-and-ground
. In both cases the proposed solution is landuse=school.)

Jason