[Tagging] one feature one element

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Jul 4 19:48:18 UTC 2019

On 7/4/2019 1:11 PM, marc marc wrote:
> it's the perfect example of confusion between two different things.
> if a school is located on the ground floor of an apartment, office,
> or commercial building, believing that amenity=school is a landuse
> is wrong. in this case amenity=school (as a node or a way) only
> describe the localisation and/or the level, not the landuse.
> It is also wrong to believe that amenity=school implies
> landuse=residential (because the landuse of an office building
> is not residential)
> even if the majority of schools have the same extent between
> amenity=school and landuse=school (or equivalent), there are many cases
> that show that sometimes it is different and that therefore the 2 tags
> are not synonymous

I definitely think the recommendation to add landuse=residential to
amenity=school is unsound. Even for a school surrounded by a residential
area, I wouldn't consider the school grounds themselves to be residential.

My preference with school grounds would be:
  - Just one school? Continue to use amenity=school as a pseudo-landuse,
and put all of the relevant tags for the school (name, etc) on that way.
If you want to add landuse=education/school, fine, but
landuse=residential makes no sense.
  - Two or more schools? Tag the grounds with landuse=education, and add
the individual amenity=school (plus name, etc) tags on
nodes/buildings/areas, as appropriate.