[Tagging] Maxweight wiki page changes

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Jul 6 11:38:34 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 6 July 2019, Warin wrote:
> On 06/07/19 19:46, Colin Smale wrote:

> >> Possibly not where you are.. but
> >>
> >> "registrable light motor vehicle means a motor vehicle that is
> >> registrable and has a tare mass that is not greater than 2,794
> >> kilograms."
> >>
> >> From https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/regulation/2017/451/full
> >>
> >> And also in other traffic legislation in Australia...
> >>
> >> In the UK?
> >>
> >> "(h)the manner in which the tare weight of road vehicles, or of road
> >> vehicles of any particular class or description is to be determined. "
> >> from https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/72
> >>

> > That is not a traffic regulation, that's about metrology. And by the
> > way, I am speaking as a Brit, so native speaker and somewhat
> > conversant with the laws and legal system. As I said, the word "tare"
> > does exist, and is used in certain specific contexts. But in
> > connection with road vehicles, everybody in the UK speaks of Unladen
> > Weight.
> >
> > https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained
> >

> Ok.
> Here trucks have small signs on there side, they state the tare weight
> and gvw. I think these are used to confirm the vehicle is not overloaded
> when inspected (we have both mobile and stationary testing).
> Also tare is used to specify the maximum tare weight of a trailer that
> inexperienced drivers can use, and that is a road regulation. It may
> also be used for other things.
> A fairly common term here.
>
> -------------
> Further nit picking..
> The "Unladen weight" is usually done without fuel but in all other ways
> ready for the road -i.e. includes spare tyre/s, tools, battery, coolant,
> oil etc etc. ???
> I think some manufactures sales brochures quote figures without some of
> these to make it appear that they have greater load carrying capabilities.
> Again this may vary from place to place around the world.
>
> --------------------
> I would be happy with "unladen weight" rather than "empty weight".
> As for "maximum" .. I would use "limit" similar to the use of "speed
> limit". So it would become "unladen weight limit".
>
> I don't think I have ever seen a sign limiting the unladen weight .. it
> is always a limit on the total weight that the structure is rated for.
> So I don't think there is much point in discussing it? At least not from
> my limited knowledge.

Unladen weight is used in European countries to apply only to goods vehicles, either 3.5t or 7.5t, and is tagged as hgv=no/destination.

It has nothing to do with structures, it is to prevent heavy goods vehicles taking short cuts through residential areas.

It only apples to goods vehicles, as you need buses to have access.

Phil (trigpoint)
--
Sent from my Sailfish device