[Tagging] Test prep centres and cram schools as amenity=prep_school?

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Jul 6 19:30:44 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-06 06:17, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> In May, yumean1119 suggested tagging Japanese "cram schools" as either
> office=educational_institution + education = cram_school
> or amenity=prep_school
>
> And then iD and the name_suggestion_index started using amenity=prep_school

I added some test prep center and cram school chains to NSI [1] because
I was dismayed at seeing so many of them tagged as ordinary schools. [2]
The naming is admittedly unfortunate, but on the bright side, there
doesn't seem to have been much confusion with college preparatory
schools. Yay for presets. [3]

The NSI entry means it's easier for mappers to identify individual cram
schools as being affiliated with these chains, as opposed to being
college preparatory schools. So if there is consensus on a replacement
tag, the existing features can be migrated either manually or
automatically with more confidence than before.

[1] https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index/pull/2630
[2] http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/KuE
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dprep_school

> I think that "education=*" is not yet supported as a key, so we should
> use either amenity= or office= with "=tutoring" - for cram schools
> that provide after-school additional instruction, an "=test_prep" for
> facilities that only provide preparation for certain tests, like
> Kaplan in the USA.

office=tutoring isn't a great fit, because then we can't easily
distinguish these centers (some of which are just as large as
neighborhood elementary schools) from independent tutors' offices.

Another term for these establishments is "supplementary education
center", but that risks confusion with some other kinds of supplementary
education. [3] And despite the "school" in "cram school", some of these
establishments are educational institutions only inasmuch as acupuncture
is healthcare [4], which is to say, debatable.

Incidentally, there's already a documented after_school tag used with
kindergartens and childcare centers. [5] Not all test prep centers are
after-school programs -- some are geared toward professional
examinations -- but I think the overlap suggests that we should just go
with something in amenity=* until we get around to overhauling
everything with an education=* key.

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplementary_school
[4]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:healthcare#Specialities_for_healthcare.3Dalternative