[Tagging] Test prep centres and cram schools as amenity=prep_school?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 13:17:20 UTC 2019

To summarize,

In January, Javbw  mentioned amenity=cram_school for these "juku" cram
schools, e.g. brand Komon

In February, office=tutoring was suggested by Jmapb, perhaps with
tutoring=test_prep for those focused on test preparation only

In March, Warin added the suggestion of education=tutoring, however
not everyone agrees if all these facilities provide education, or if
education=* is a good key.

In May, yumean1119 suggested tagging Japanese "cram schools" as either
office=educational_institution + education = cram_school
or amenity=prep_school

And then iD and the name_suggestion_index started using amenity=prep_school

I think that "education=*" is not yet supported as a key, so we should
use either amenity= or office= with "=tutoring" - for cram schools
that provide after-school additional instruction, an "=test_prep" for
facilities that only provide preparation for certain tests, like
Kaplan in the USA.

Joseph